Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Chickens!!! Oh My!






I thought since I had a few spare minutes before my test today I would post a few pictures of our beloved chickens. Cause who doesn't want to see chickens???
We came to have chickens on a whim. I made the mistake of leaving my husband and girls alone for the day. They ended up going to town and at the local L&M, picked up 35 chickens. For something to do. When I got home there they were in a rubbermaid box on my kitchen table. They stayed there for about a week. Then they were moved to our basement in a old horse trough. I think they were there for another 2-3 wks. At this time they were getting way to big for the trough, so my husband made a chicken coop for them. It is 6x6 and then they have a large fenced in area to run around in. We had a good assortment of chickens. We had 30 called cornish cross. They are fast growing meat birds. Yes, that means you butcher them. They are yellow at first then change to white. We had 5 feather footed bantes. They have feathers on their feet, very cute! These are egg laying birds. These 5 are named, Brownie, Braised, Blue, Star, and Stu. Stu however is not with us anymore. We had a freak accident where the door fell on him. It was very traumatic for my oldest daughter. So needless to say Stu has a shrine. Oh well. We also have 5 Americanas. These are a multicolored egg layers. They lay colored eggs, green and blue colored. They say that the green eggs have little cholesterol in them. We didn't really name these ones, but have also lost one due to the dog.
Even though I was not to happy with the dang chickens at first, I have grown to like them.
We did butcher in July 28 of the cornish crosses. We now have a freezer full of chicken to eat. We are getting 5-6 eggs a day. I never thought it would be so hard to use so many eggs at once.
Ok here are some pics of the chickens. The one to the right is Blue! He is a crabby rooster!


Below are some of there eggs. The larger ones are laid by the 2 cornish that we kept, the other ones are by the others.














So there are the dang ol dang ol chickens. That should explain a little more about me. LOL!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I must be a bad person because I laughed when poor Stu got flattened by the door (not that this happened to him, but that you have a shrine). This is some fun and lively writing...and I guess it proves that you never need to leave your husband and kids together alone, bored, or they'll come up with "something to do."